Wednesday, April 16, 2008

descriptions of life as it goes by



the fourth of the island days. the weather is good, some hazy clouds, a bit windy, and a lot of sunshine. i am still happy of this place here. and of the little gift it brings. like the duck pets, the sunrise view – and a novel to read.

it's funny, i tried hard at home to find the right books to bring, but wasn't really sure. and then, coming here, and opening the first, it felt too heavy. what now? i thought. on a whim, i walked to the reception. they have a shelf of read books there, left by other guests. i started to look through them, and first thought, oh no, it's all crime and romance. and then there was this one book – Sue Miller's "The World Below".

i didn't know the author, it was more the cover that drew me in. and it's perfect. light but at the same time deep. a tale of a woman and her grandmother. and parallel to that, the story of this grandmother – as told through her diaries. here's a small passage of it, a reflection on diaries that made me think of our e-mail dialogue:

„I suppose in our contemporary lives, our cumulative e-mails might constitute a kind of diary: that informal, moment-by-moment description of life as it goes by. …. As I think of those notes now – what I wrote, what I said – it seems to me they danced across the surface just as my grandmother's diaries did – Anais Nin she wasn't, and I wasn't, either. Who is? Not even Anais Nin.“

smile. life. and the things it sometimes hands us open handed, while we keep making all our plans, sceptic of the day to come. while at other times, the most common things, things we take all for granted, proof to be obstacles.

No comments: